SAVE THE DATE
This course will be held again on
March 11 - 15, 2019.
Information contained in this site is for the 2018 program.
Information for the 2019 program not yet available.
The Comprehensive 2018 Update on Office-Based Primary Care Medicine
Taught by Harvard Medical School's Leading Clinical Faculty
Office Practice of Primary Care Medicine is the renowned Harvard Medical School CME course for general internal medicine. It offers new and returning attendees the opportunity to stay current with annual advances across every major area of general medicine. Designed by and for clinicians, the curriculum focuses on state-of-the-art approaches to the clinical challenges you routinely face and the best ways to apply these approaches to your practice.
The education is largely case-based, with integrated Q&A forums and hands-on workshops, offering an unparalleled opportunity for you to exchange ideas and pose your questions to many of Harvard Medical School’s finest teachers and master clinicians.
► Please note:
- For the past 4 years, this program has sold out months before the start of the course.To be assured a spot in the 2018 program and your first choice of workshops, early registration is strongly advised.
- This program is among the highest-rated Harvard Medical School CME courses.
2018 Updates and Skills Development
This year’s lectures and hands-on workshops have been fully updated with a focus on the most pressing clinical updates affecting the practice of primary care medicine for 2018. Highlights are summarized below.
Best practices for treating common conditions
- New guidelines for hypertension and lipid care
- Practical pointers for treating diabetes
- Congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, and atrial fibrillation
- Women’s health updates, including menopause and osteoporosis
- Men’s health updates, including prostate health and testosterone replacement therapy
- Treatment of concussions and head trauma
- Assessing and treating addictions
- Treating depression, anxiety, and ADHD
- Challenging cases of abdominal pain
- Celiac disease: diagnosis and treatment
- Dizziness and vertigo: practical pointers
- Evaluating the patient with chest pain
- Diagnosing and treating cognitive impairment
- Challenging rheumatology cases
- Chronic kidney disease management
- Sleep disorders: insomnia and sleep apnea
- Pre-op cardiac and pulmonary consultation
- C. diff., UTIs, STDs, bronchitis, pneumonia
The latest evidence-based treatments and guidelines
- Using the novel anticoagulants
- New COPD and solitary pulmonary nodule guidelines
- Hepatitis C and NASH
- New obesity medications
- Complementary and integrative medicine, including medical marijuana
- Antibiotics in office practice
- Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses
- Optimal pain management: opioids and non-opioids
- Motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral therapy
- Nutritional counseling and prescribing exercise
- Using genetic testing
- Functional assessment of the geriatric patient
- Updates in pediatric and adolescent office practice
Practice tips from world-renowned experts
- Meaningful use of EMRs to increase the efficiency and safety of medical ambulatory practice
- Staying well while caring for patients
- Creating a patient-centered medical home
- How to stay clinically up to date from your office
- Conducting discussions about end-of-life care
- Coordinating care for high-risk patients
- Patient information handouts that are relevant to your practice
Education to improve your in-office screening and procedural techniques
- Evaluating lower back pain
- Hands-on evaluation of knee pain
- Physical examination of the eye, shoulder, hip, elbow, hand, foot, ankle, and back
- Interpreting ECGs and chest x-rays
- Best practices for joint injections
- Practical wound care
- In-office dermatology procedures
- Successful minor surgery
Customize your learning experience. Choose from among 87 hands-on workshops and master clinician sessions to advance your examination and office procedure skills and improve your medical knowledge.