SAVE THE DATE
This course will be held again on
March 9 - 13, 2020.
Information contained in this site is for the 2019 program.
Information for the 2020 program not yet available.
The Comprehensive 2019 Update on Office-Based Primary Care Medicine
Taught by Harvard Medical School's Leading Clinical Faculty
Office Practice of Primary Care Medicine provides comprehensive reviews of the most important recent advances impacting primary care medicine and guidance to assimilate these changes into practice for state-of-the-art care. Education is practical and results-focused, designed to help you optimize your approach to the wide array of conditions seen in primary care practice.
Lectures, interactive discussions, and skills advancement workshops are taught by nationally and internationally recognized leaders in their respective fields of medicine. Attendees can customize their learning experience to align with their practice needs and have ample time for discussion and posing questions to faculty.
► Please note:
- For the past 5 years, this program has sold out months before the start of the course.To be assured a spot in the 2019 program and your first choice of workshops, early registration is strongly advised.
- This program is among the highest-rated Harvard Medical School CME courses.
2019 Updates and Skills Development
This year’s lectures and hands-on workshops have been fully updated with a focus on the most pressing clinical updates affecting the practice of primary care medicine for 2019. Highlights are summarized below.
Best practices for treating common conditions
- New guidelines for hypertension and lipid care
- Practical pointers for treating diabetes
- Updates on screening for breast, colorectal, lung, prostate and cervical cancer
- Congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, and atrial fibrillation
- Menopause management and treatment of osteoporosis
- Prostate health and testosterone replacement therapy
- Treatment of concussions and head trauma
- Assessing and treating addictions
- Treating depression and anxiety
- Challenging cases of abdominal pain
- Celiac disease: diagnosis and treatment
- Dizziness and vertigo: practical pointers
- Evaluating the patient with chest pain
- Diagnosing and treating cognitive impairment
- Challenging rheumatology cases
- Chronic kidney disease management
- Challenging renal cases
- Sleep disorders: insomnia and sleep apnea
- Pre-op cardiac and pulmonary consultation
- UTIs, STDs, bronchitis, pneumonia
The latest evidence-based treatments and guidelines
- Using the novel anticoagulants
- COPD and solitary pulmonary nodule guidelines
- Hepatitis C and NASH
- Treating obesity: new medications, lifestyle medicine interventions, surgery
- Complementary and integrative medicine, including medical marijuana
- Antibiotics in office practice
- Treatment of movement disorders
- Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses
- Psychiatry in primary care
- Optimal pain management: opioids and non-opioids
- Motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral therapy
- Nutritional counseling and prescribing exercise
- Using genetic testing
- Functional assessment of the geriatric patient
Practice tips from world-renowned experts
- Meaningful use of EHRs to increase the efficiency and safety of medical ambulatory practice
- Care of the LBGTQ patient
- How to stay clinically up to date from your office
- Updates in hospice and palliative care
- Conducting discussions about end-of-life care
- Coordinating care for high-risk patients
- Updates in pediatric and adolescent office practice
- Patient information handouts that are relevant to your practice
Education to improve your in-office screening and procedural techniques
- Evaluating lower back pain
- Hands-on evaluation of knee pain
- Physical examination of the eye, shoulder, hip, elbow, hand, foot, ankle, and back
- Interpreting ECGs and chest x-rays
- Best practices for joint injections
- Practical wound care
- In-office dermatology procedures
- Successful minor surgery
- Casting and splinting
Customize your learning experience. Choose from among 87 hands-on workshops and master clinician sessions to advance your examination and office procedure skills and improve your medical knowledge.